If you love melt-in-your-mouth gorgeous shortbread then you are going to love these. With this recipe you will really never want to buy shop bought ones ever again. Follow this recipe to the letter and we guarantee your shortbread will be velvety soft every time. And the best thing is it’s total child’s play to make.
This is another favourite from Rachel Allen from her Rachel’s Favourite Food For Friends cookbook. We haven’t adapted it in any way because it is perfect just as it is. You can make this in either a round tin and cut it into triangles or a rectangular one for square slices. It’s really important that you wait until it’s fully cooled before slicing it as it will crumble and break otherwise.
Mixed and in the oven in 10 minutes and baked in approx 1 hour, it’s a no-nonsense staple for any coffee break.
What you need
- 18/20cm tin (either in diameter for a round tin or length for rectangular)
- 140g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 50g caster sugar
- 100 soft butter
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar for sprinkling
Allow the shortbread to cool fully before cutting
- Pre-heat the oven to 140 C fan
- Mix all the flours and sugar in a bowl.
- With your hands add the softened butter and bring together until you have crumbly mixture. If you keep kneading it in the bowl it will come together.
- Tip it into the baking tray or tin and flatten with the back of a spoon. Prick all over with a fork.
- Place in the oven for 55-65 mins until lightly golden (it will be pale in colour but will be baked!)
- Sprinkle with sugar immediately whilst it is hot and allow to cool completely before cutting.