It’s all very well showering everyone else with love the Valentine’s Day but what about yourself? Self Love is key. Do you know that it is so much harder to be a good wife/girlfriend/mother/friend if you are not loving yourself first?
Here is Morello Life’s 15 ways to love yourself…
1. HALT THE INNER CRITIC
- Stop criticising yourself and your choices. Speak to yourself as a friend would and give yourself gentle advise and praise for things you are doing right.
2. TAKE TIME OUT
- Remember to step off the treadmill regularly and take stock. Life can be a whirlwind of work, home, parenting, chores and social life which gives little space to contemplate how lucky we are and what we can tweak to make life even better.
3. CONNECT TO NATURE
- Wrap up warm and go for a lovely walk or run somewhere beautiful. Breathe in the air, look at the view and enjoy the peace.
4. REACH OUT
- People who are emotionally connected have higher self-esteem and much less anxiety. Ring a friend you haven’t spoken to for a while and have a good catch up.
5. FIND SOME PEACE
- Don’t feel guilty about taking some time out especially if you are a Mother. Do whatever necessary to have a tiny bit of time to yourself every day. Some people go for a run (see above) or meditate, others lock themselves in the bathroom with a magazine and a packet of hob nobs. No judgement here.
6. CELEBRATE YOUR WINS
- If you’re like us then you are always writing ‘to do’ lists but not ‘ta da’ lists. A ‘Ta Da’ list celebrates your minor wins and achievements how ever small “Reflecting on the positives boost your mood, shifts your attitude to a can-do attitude and pivots you init seeking out happiness very day” says psychologist Emma Kenny.
- There is nothing more humbling than volunteering to boost your self esteem. Offer to make food for the homeless, work in a charity shop or visit an elderly member of the community. It is proven that those who help others are generally happier and more content with their life. Action for happiness states that “Altruistic behaviour releases endorphins in the brain and boosts happiness for us as well as the people we help.” So showing love to others helps us to love ourselves.
8. START ON THE BUCKET LIST
- It’s never to early to start planning to do all the things you want to in life and having something to look forward increases life satisfaction. What are you waiting for? Get writing that list.
9. HAVE A DUVET DAY
- Be indulgent once in a while, cancel all your plans and hibernate. We have the perfect tips for creating the ultimate Duvet Day here.
10. LEARN SOMETHING NEW
- Apparently learning something new boosts our happiness and self-esteem so sign up for a course. Always fancied learning how to be a carpenter, make bread or speak fluent Chinese? Check out hot courses to find a suitable course near you.
- Marie Kondo has a lot to answer for as everyone we know is currently sorting out their drawers. However, make no mistake this is an act of self love. People who live in organised tidy homes are generally much happier than those who don’t Debora Robertson author or ‘Delutter: The Get Real Guide to Creating Calm from Chaos‘ also has some great and realistic tips to keep the clutter at bay.
12. FIND AN EXERCISE YOU ENJOY
- If you’re not a natural exerciser (us!) then you need to find something that floats your boat and makes you want to raise that heartbeat. Hike with a friend once a week, do Pilates in front of the TV or learn to play tennis. Whichever sport you choose it will be good for your heart and mind as well as your body.
13. DRINK MORE WATER
- This is probably the kindest thing you can do to yourself. Drinking water boosts energy, lowers cholesterol and makes you generally more beautiful. If you struggle to drink it plain then throw some lemon in or fresh mint and cucumber. Check out our reasons why you need top drink more water here.
14. READ AN ACTUAL BOOK
- According to The New Yorker, studies have shown that when a person is reading, the brain experiences the same serenity as meditation and therefore makes us happier inside and out! So whether you’re reading a high brow novel or a low brow beach novel the results are the same.
15. WRITE A DIARY/JOURNAL
- Writing a diary or mindfulness journal has so many benefits. It can help you be present in your daily life, and keep track of events as well as offer perspective on situations as writing things down helps us to clarify our thinking. Apparently writing down what we are grateful for immediately increases our levels if happiness and well being.