What You Need
- 1 large chicken, jointed
- 1 packet of bacon lardons or chopped back bacon
- 25g soft butter softened
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- A large handful of button mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 carrots, cut as you prefer (are you a button or a coin cutter?)
- 1 bay leaf
- A couple of sprigs of Thyme
- 500ml good quality chicken stock (home-made or Knorr)
- Glass of red or white wine
- 25g plain flour
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
A chicken casserole recipe is a culinary necessity. It is utterly delicious, relatively healthy and can be eaten alone or with a band of friends and family. This one is easy. We hope you enjoy it.
What To Do
- Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC
- In a large casserole dish, heat a little oil and brown the seasoned chicken until golden brown and then transfer to a separate plate.
- Add a small knob of butter and brown the onions and bacon before adding the chicken back into the pan.
- Throw in your glass of wine to loosen any lovely sticky sediment attached to the bottom of the pan (this has all the taste).
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and herbs plus the chicken stock and place the lid on the dish.
- Transfer to the oven for 30-40 mins.
- After this time, remove the dish from the oven and transfer the chicken and veg to a warm plate.
- Mix your flour and butter together to from a thick paste (for Masterchef purposes this is called a beurre mainie).
- As you bring the sauce to the boil, add the paste and whisk continuously until the mixture begins to thicken and go lovely and glossy. If it is too thick, add a little water or more stock until your required consistency.
- Put the chicken and vegetables back into the sauce and serve with your preferred side.