There is nothing more quintessentially British than egg sandwiches. Whether as part of an afternoon tea at a top establishment, or wrapped in celaphane and chomped whilst wrapped up against the elements on a windswept beach, egg sandwiches are the business. No afternoon tea or picnic is complete without them.
However there is an egg sandwich and an egg sandwich. The Ritz, considered one of the most luxurious hotels in the world and frequented by royalty, the famous and fashionable still serves eggs sandwiches (finger stye of course) as part of its prestigious afternoon tea. They are possibly the most exquisite sandwich available to man so shamelessly we begged for the recipe.
What You Need
For the Filling
- Handful of Banana shallots, finely diced
- Knob of butter
- 6 boiled eggs (approx 5 minutes – do not overboil)
- Tablespoon of good quality mayonnaise
- Tablespoon of Salad Cream
For the Sandwiches
- Dirty White Bread (you can do brown but I’m afraid they just don’t taste as good)
- (if you want elegant tea sandwiches then remember to cut the crusts off and serve in finger style slices otherwise for a picnic the mixture can take a good hunk of bread)
- Cold but soft butter for spreading
Fancy Afternoon Tea at The Ritz?
Treat yourself to the world famous Afternoon Tea at The Ritz London with a 15% discount* on our 7.30pm sitting of traditional Afternoon Tea Monday – Thursday in 2018. This offer has limited availability.
Enjoy a quintessentially English experience served in the beautiful Palm Court. Choose from an extensive selection of 18 varieties of loose-leaf tea, finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve and a range of delicate pastries.