Everyone likes a good sponge pudding and this is one of the easiest puddings to knock up for a Sunday lunch or family gathering at a moment’s notice. It takes less than 30 minutes to cook and is super delicious and versatile, enabling you to use up any fruit hanging around the fridge or freezer.
What You Need
For the Fruit
- 3 apples, either eating or baking peeled and chopped
- 500g of blackberries or other mixed berries
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
For the Sponge
- 125g Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125g) of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Thick whipped cream or custard
Any cooked fruit will do depending on the season.
Apple & Blackberries
Peach and Raspberries
Blueberry & Coconut
Pineapple & Cherry
Pear & Apple
Rhubarb & Strawberry
Gooseberry & Elderflower
Step by step
Preheat oven to 180C.
Place the chopped apple, blackberries and sugar in a small pan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and the fruit starts to cook and soften.
Spoon the fruit into a large lightly buttered baking dish and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar until smooth and pale.
Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into creamed mixture.
- The mixture should have a soft, dropping consistency. Add a tiny drop of milk if it needs loosening further.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes until sponge has risen and golden brown on the top.
Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with thick whipped cream or custard.