These swirly asparagus and bacon numbers make a great canapé or light snack. What’s not to like about crispy bacon and pastry twisted around asparagus with a light sprinkle of parmesan? We love them because they can be made in advance and popped in the oven just before you need them. Best eaten nice and warm straight out of the oven. They would work well for a garden picnic too.
What You’ll Need
- A dozen asparagus stalks
- 12-15 slices of streaky bacon
- Egg wash
- Puff pastry – one sheet
- Set the oven to 200 C
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface (it should be room temperature) and cut a dozen narrow strips (using the long length)
- Wash & trim the asparagus
- Twist a strip of bacon from the top asparagus spear all the way to the end.
- Next fill in the gap by wrapping the pastry down the asparagus stem. Remove any access.
- Lay all the asparagus on a baking try and brush the pastry with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with some parmesan and pop in the oven for approx 20 mins.
Tip: For crispier bacon use a baking sheet instead of a tray and sit directly on your oven rack (to allow more air flow in the oven) and turn half way through baking. You can also lightly grill the bacon in advance (without it being curled up!) so that it cooks evenly with the asparagus.