We’re not sure that there is such a thing as a healthy cake but if there is, then this has to be it.
The moist citrus-y sponge is dotted with blueberries literally bursting with flavour and the slight covering of icing gives it a sweet kick. Even better, this is such a light bake that there is no heavy ‘cake laden guilt’ feeling afterwards. As soon as made this, it literally disappeared within less than a day. It is a perfect tea time treat, after school scooby snack or even as a pudding with a small dollop of creme fraiche or ice cream. Currently this is our fave bake as no one can get enough of it so I would recommend baking two loaves at a time, especially if you are expecting visitors.
What You Need
Tip: The Blueberries are better added in parts so that they spread evenly through the cake.
- 150g unsalted butter
- 190g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1 lemon’s worth finely grated rind
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 medium-sized eggs
- 110g ground almonds
- Pinch salt
- 200g blueberries or two large handfuls
For the icing
- 100g icing sugar (sifted)
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Grease or line your loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for a minute or so in a mixer.
- Fold the sifted flour, baking powder and salt into the cake mixture and then mix in the ground almonds.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cake slots.
- Bake for approx 20 mins.