We don’t know where these cute little chocolate melt-in-you-mouth biscuits got their name but what we do know is that they are super easy to make and taste super-scrummy. They make a perfect addition to afternoon tea or are a tasty treat for the kids.
The icing can be made with any fresh red fruit – strawberries, raspberries or cherries but you can also use jam mixed with icing sugar which is equally effective. Of course, we love cherries so we used a sour cherry jam which stopped the icing being too super sweet.
What You Need
For the Chocolate Kisses
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g or 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 250g or 2 cups (see American Baking Cups) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
For the Icing
- a few ripe raspberries, strawberries or cherries (or Sour Cherry Jam see note above)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g or 1/2 cup of icing sugar
What to do
- Turn on the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease baking trays or line with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the soft butter, sugar and vanilla extract until the mixture becomes fluffy and paler in colour.
- Make small balls about the size of a doughnut and place them evenly on the baking tray.
- Flatten them a little with a fork.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes. Let them cool.
- For the icing, put the berries or jam in a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the butter and icing sugar and mix throughly.
- Spread a little icing onto each cookie and sandwich together.
Chocolate Kiss Kiss x