These delicious sweetcorn fritters are part of our staple diet.
Constantly requested by the kids, they are supremely easy to knock out and all the ingredients are usually on hand from the pantry or freezer. You can also feel vaguely virtuous that they are at least eating a vegetable. Feel free to vary the veg – courgette, pea and carrot can work well but as far as we are concerned nothing can beat sweetcorn and coriander. Served with sweet chilli sauce – these are also a fabulous TV supper.
What You Need
- 100g or 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Tin of drained Sweetcorn or 2 cups of frozen sweetcorn
- 1 spring onion finely chopped (optional)
- Handful of Chopped Coriander
- Sea salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 splash of Vegetable Oil
Sweet Chilli Sauce OR Avocado Salsa and Crisp Bacon
For a more luxurious treat or breakfast you can also serve sweetcorn fritters loaded with Guacamole and Crispy Bacon. Say NO more.
- Mix the flour, baking, powder, eggs and seasoning together.
- Add the chopped spring onion if using, sweetcorn and coriander (save a little for serving) and stir until the corn is thoroughly distributed.
- Heat the oil in the saucepan until hot.
- Drop a ladle of the mixture into the pan and cook a few fritters at a time for approx 1 minute.
- Flip the fritters onto their other side for approx another minute until bouncy to touch.
- Serve with a sprinkling of the Coriander and preferably a healthy dose of sweet chilli sauce/mayo/whatever floats your boat.
- Prepare to make these over and over again…..