This gorgeous granola recipe is a must-have staple for the cereal cupboard.
Not only is to easy and convenient to make, but you can unleash your creativity by adding whatever seeds, nuts or dried fruit is at hand and make this recipe your very own. It can be kept for several weeks in a sealed container in the fridge to keep it suitably crunchy.
We have to admit that sometimes we buy a trail mix of nuts and seeds from a health shop and chuck this in instead of having to buy and chop all the different ingredients. Hardly difficult but you know, every minute counts. Or of course you could just buy the granola in the first place but it is just so damn satisfying making your own.
- 100ml coconut oil or coconut butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut flakes
- 2 cups mixed nuts – we like almonds, pecans, walnuts and cashews
- 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds
- 11/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Dried Banana slices (our fave as welike the extra crunch)
- Roughly chopped apricots, dried apple, raisins or any dried fruit
- Puffed rice or rice bran
- Red goji berries or pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 140 degrees and line a large baking tray.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl – the oats, nuts, coconut and seeds.
- Combine the wet ingredients – sugar, coconut oil, butter and Maple Syrup and mix thoruioghly into the ry mix so that is all covered.
- Spread the mix evenly on the tray and bake for 20-25 minutes turning half way through for a nice even bake. Take out when golden brown and crunchy (but keep watching as nuts can catch quite quickly and you don’t want to burn them)
- Combine the oats with any of extra ingredients you fancy.
- Serve with yoghurt for a smug way to start the day.