Usually when we have some old banana’s lying around, we reach for our usual banana bread recipe which is always gobbled up gleefully. However, last week we also had some figs knocking about so we decided to be more creative.
Supremely moist and delicious, these banana, fig and walnut muffins are also incredibly healthy. We don’t want to sound too pleased with ourselves but, well, we are. You will be too when you try these beauties.
What You Need
This recipe makes a dozen muffins.
- 11/2 cups of plain flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- I large egg
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 5 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 small fresh figs cut into small pieces
- Brown sugar for sprinkling
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180℃
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and chopped walnuts.
- In another bowl, whisk together the banana, egg, vanilla extract, soft butter and brown sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined throughly.
- Using a spoon )we like to use an ice cream scoop to ensure equal measurements), fill individual muffin cups half way up.
- Place a layer of the freshly cut figs and then cover with another scoop of the batter.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar on the top to give a crunchy finish.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes until the muffins turn golden and are bouncy to touch.