We love munching on a bowl of popcorn or crisps over a drink but we are always on the lookout for a slightly more guilt-free snacking option. Hence we gave these baked vegetable crisps a go. And we weren’t disappointed. Suffice to say it requires a little bit of oven management but actually there’s a lot of satisfaction gained from producing a bowl of homemade vegetable chips instead of upending a bag of Doritos! And the bonus for us was that our kids wolfed them down.
For your own baked vegetable crips just use whatever vegetables you have at home. We opted for beetroot, parsnips, sweet potato and carrots but experiment with other root vegetables too. For thin even slices we recommend using a mandolin unless you have a steady hand!
What you need for Baked Vegetable Chips (enough for one small bowl of chips)
- Selection of vegetables:
- beetroot x 1
- parsnips x 4 mini ones,
- sweet potato x 1 medium size
- carrots x4
- pre-heat oven to 210 C
- Peel all vegetables and slice with a mandolin. We found that starting by cutting the parsnips lengthways, the carrots diagonally, the beetroot and the sweet potato in half made it easier to get the right cut shape from the mandolin.
- Note that carrots shrink sizeably in the oven so try get the best length out of these slices. Parsnips look great in long willowy slices.
- We added different spices to each vegetable but if you don’t want to do this go straight to no (4). In addition to seasoning and a good dash of olive oil we added: a teaspoon of cumin along with some olive oil to the carrots, a teaspoon of tumeric for the parsnips, sweet potatoes are great with a sprinkle of chilli powder, cayenne pepper and paprika. We left the beetroot as is.
- Place all the chopped veg in a bowl and add a drizzle of olive oil to lightly coat them along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Don’t over-do the olive oil as the veg will likely steam rather than bake.
- Dab some olive oil onto a piece of kitchen paper and very lightly rub down a baking tray.
- Place your vegetables in a single layer on the tray and place in oven. Bake for approx 7 mins (but keep an eye on them) and turn over for another 3-5 mins to complete the baking. We found the parsnips & the beetroot cooked quickest.
- Once baked place them on some kitchen paper. Season again if necessary.
- You can serve them together as a mix of baked vegetable chips or in separate bowl.