Everyone loves a bit of Greek Tzatziki as the perfect accompaniment to grilled meats or to dip with warm pittas. We’ve been guilty of buying store bought Tzatziki in the past but once we made our own there is no turning back. It’s always been said that homemade sauces and dips are far superior and this is no exception – it’s oozing with minty zingy flavour.
What you need
- Half a large cucumber
- 1-2 cloves garlic (or more if you so wish)
- 500g Greek yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 20g Dill (small packet)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of fresh mint (approx 25 sprigs)
- Slice cucumber lengthways (leave the skin on) and scrape out the seeds.
- Grate cucumber and leave it in a sieve with a half teaspoon of sea salt. Allow the juice of the cucumber to drain away for an hour or so (or if you are in a hurry squeeze the juice out with a fork).
- Pat cucumber dry with some kitchen paper.
- Grate the garlic and mix with the oil and add to the cucumber mixture.
- Finely chop the dill and mint and mix in the yogurt and lemon juice.
- Finally stir everything together and refrigerate until ready to serve.