We’re like foodie magpies – stealing delicious, glittering recipes wherever we go and making them our own.
This scrumptious salad is a staple of a our dear friend Jo and is absolutely perfect as a side to practically any dish as well as being suitable as a meal all on its own. It’s sweet, salty, crunchy topping is the perfect foil for the green salad underneath. Delicious.
- Salad leaves – a selection
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Half a cucumber, de-seeded and sliced
- Half a white onion – very finely sliced
- 3 x spring onions, chopped
- 1 x medium avocado, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of Avocado Oil
- 1 x packet of pancetta or bacon lardons
- 1/2 packet of Pecans
- 3 x tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 x tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- Throw leaves into a large bowl.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber, white onions and spring onions and add them to the leaves.
- Heat a pan and add the avocado oil until rippling (this shows it is hot enough.)
- Add the pancetta and cook slowly until browning, add the chopped pecan nuts and then add the maple syrup.
- Cook until dark and crispy..
- Add the white wine vinegar to release the sweet meaty nutty stickiness and stir well until all dissolved.
- Take off the heat and live to cool a little.
- Chop the avocado and add to the salad bowl.
- When cooled but still warm add the pancetta and nuts.
TIP. This salad can be made in advance but if doing so then leave the avocado until just before you serve.
If you throw an avocado stone into the salad with the chopped avocado, it will help prevent it growing although we would recommend sealing the bowl with clingfilm to stop air getting in too.