We’ve all been there. Trying to extract children from screen time on iPads, phones, playstation or the TV can be an excruciating process. Their zoned out selective hearing is like a impenetrable force to break through. Getting your children to the table for supper can require the negotiation skills of a NATO ambassador. It’s no surprise that our generation of digital junkies kids are creating obsessive, unhealthy attachments to their technology. Summer is the perfect time of year to put healthy screentime limits in place as there is so much for children to do away from screens with the weather being so much better – get those healthy habits in place!
And so when we saw the super inventive TimeTokens idea that tackles this thorny issue we thought it was brilliant! Amanda Buckness, a frazzled mum came up with the idea with her 7 year old son when his screen time obsession seemed to rule the household and they put their heads together to create TimeTokens.
The idea is simple:
- First you order a TimeTokens pack from www.timetokens.com £14.95 (free p&p for UK orders)
- Inside the pack you will recieve a welcome note, TimeTokens cards, a Golden Ticket, wallet, timer and a promise contract.
- You agree with your child how much screentime is allowed each week across all their devices. You might decide mid week is a no-go or max 30 mins per day for a wind down. Thats up to you both to decide.
- Both of you sign the promise contract together – the deal is done!
- TimeTokens suggest you start your weekly tokens on a Friday (you can even get a free weekly text reminder on a Friday) and avoid pre breakfast & no later than 30 mins before bedtime but that’s entirely up to you.
- Whenever your child would like their screen time they hand over their tokens (in denominations of 5, 10, 15, 30 & 60 mins) for their ‘fix’. You set the timer and when it beeps thats the end of their token. Device shutdown!
- TimeTokens suggest that when the tokens are used they are used so if they are all gone by Monday evening they need to go cold turkey until Friday.
If you have more than one child you can sharpen their negotiation skills by sharing, swapping or even donating their tokens to one another. Ok, so donating might be one step too far! With Summer holidays around the corner it could be the perfect opportunity to break the screen time habit and get the most out of your time together!