Who doesn’t love a slice of something with their after-dinner coffee? This sweet, savoury, sumptuous slice of chocolate and caramel covered peanuts will really hit your sweet spot. If you add the sea salt it might just hit your savoury spot too.
What You Need
- Oil for brushing
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 100g plain or milk chocolate, melted
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- A spoonful of patience
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the sugar, golden syrup and water to a heavy bottomed pot and place over a medium-high heat.
- Heat gently without stirring at all until the sugary mixture starts to bubble and turns a caramel brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla extract, stirring until the butter is fully incorporated.
- Add the peanuts and ensure they are coated with the caramel.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet, and spread it out so that the peanuts are in a single layer.
- Let this cool completely and then sprinkle with the salt.
- Melt the chocolate and spread over the peanut brittle.
- When completely cold and the chocolate is set, break it into shards.
Remember not to stir your sugar otherwise it will crystallise. Be patient and the amber nectar will appear as promised.