If you want to create an impression at your next picnic these ditsy puddings in a jar will do the trick! We have chosen to take a spin on the nations favourite Eton mess by adding bananas and sliding in runny salted caramel sauce in between the layers of meringue, cream & biscuit. We served this at a recent local festival to a group of friends and we can honestly say every square inch of the jar was scraped clean.
You’ll need some relatively shallow jam jars and some narrow ribbon to decorate. The ones pictured are hexagonal 380ml capacity jars from Amazon.
WHAT YOU NEED
Serves 4-6 (depending on your jar size)
3-4 medium bananas
150ml double cream150ml creme fraiche
approx 8 meringue nests (or a tub of mini meringues)
Carnation ready to serve caramel
2 x chocolate Flake bars
For the biscuit crumb:
150g digestive biscuits (crumbled)
75g melted butter
Ratch up the wow factor at your next picnic with these little pudding gems!
STEP BY STEP TO YOUR JAM JAR ETON MESS
- Whip up the cream and stir in creme fraiche. Slice bananas and to the cream mixture.
- Crumble the digestives with the end of a rolling pin and add melted butter. Mix to get a fine crumb.
- Thinly slice 4-6 strawberries and place on the inside of the jar as shown in the photo.
- Add approx 1 tsp sea salt to the ready made caramel sauce (to taste… oh ok then!).
- To assemble first add a spoonful of the cream & banana mixture to the base of the jar.
- Next sprinkle a spoon of the biscuit crumb, followed by some strawberry pieces.
- Dribble a little salted caramel sauce over this layer & top with some broken meringue pieces.
- Repeat layers until you reach your desired height.
- Finish off with some crumbled chocolate flake and a strawberry for presentation.
- Leave in fridge to chill before serving.