This raspberry & coconut loaf cake is bursting with flavour and is perfect for a mid afternoon pep-me-up treat. We’ve added raspberry jam into the mixture to give the loaf cake a more moist texture but you can easily leave it if you prefer. You can make this loaf recipe in advance and store in the freezer (without the icing) and will stay fresh for about 4 days if left in an airtight container.
175g butter (softened)
175g caster sugar
3 eggs – at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
225g self raising flour
100g desiccated coconut
1-2 tablespoons good quality raspberry jam (and extra for presentation – optional)
Approx 100g fresh raspberries (for the cake and decoration)
100g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
juice of one lemon
handful of mashed raspberries
The jam in the centre of this raspberry & coconut loaf cake makes this a deliciously moist afternoon tea treat
- Preheat your oven to 180 C
- Prepare a loaf tin with lining paper or rub with butter around the edges (we used a 1L tin)
- Lightly beat the eggs in a jug.
- In a mixer cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Slowly add the eggs a little at a time.
- Fold the coconut in by hand – you don’t want to over stir the mixture.
- Sift the flour and fold into the wet mixture.
- Spoon half the mixture into the tin. Now place a few raspberries along the middle of the mixture and spread approx 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam on top.
- Cover with the remaining mixture and pop in the oven for approx 50 mins or until cooked. You may want to lightly cover the tin with tin foil after about 25 mins to avoid the top burning.
- Allow to cool fully before decorating.
- To decorate we spread a thin layer of raspberry jam over the top of the loaf (optional) before adding the drizzle.
- For the icing drizzle, sift the icing sugar in a bowl with the lemon juice and add a handful of crushed raspberries and drizzle over the top. Add a teaspoon of water if required. Sprinkle with coconut if you so desire. As an alternative topping just spread with raspberry jam and top with desiccated coconut.