This is a perfect palette cleanser to serve in-between courses, its boozy ice crystals clearing the way for the next course of deliciousness.
Of course, it does not need to be served in lemons as any little bowl will do but we thought this was as pleasing to the eye as to the mouth.
- Put the sugar and water in a pan and gently heat, stirring until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Take off the heat and chill.
- Stir in the lemon juice and half the zest, then the gin and the tonic until mixed.
- Pour into a flat container and freeze for a couple of hours until it is frozen around the edges.
- Take it out of the freezer and use a fork to scrape it until you have uniformly textured slush.
- Put back into the freezer and repeat again then re- freeze.
- Hollow up the lemons and chop off the tops.
- Take out of the freezer and scoop into the lemons or small glasses.
- Sprinkle tiny bits of peel on the top to decorate.
- Serve immediately before they melt.
This could be thought of as an adult version of a Vodka Jelly – a shot of something cold and alcoholic to get the party started, albeit a more sophisticated version.