If you are so inclined, then it can be fun to bake something cute and Christmassy especially for the kids. Goodness knows there are enough bake sales, Christmasfetes and fund raising requests at this time of year so this little festive number is an easy one to have up your sleeve. The excitement these little deers generate amongst kids will also create lots of Christmas cheer. Ding Dong.
In true Morello Life style, if you want to cut corners then be our guests. Buy the plain chocolate cupcakes and ready-made icing and just do the decoration. No one is judging here.
For the Cupcakes
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150 caster sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g of self-raising flour
25g of cocoa powder
For the Decoration
- 150 unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Approx 300 icing sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1 Tablespoons of Cocoa
- Chocolate fingers or Curly Wurlys for antlers
- White Chocolate Buttons for Eyes
- Black Colour for pupils or Candy Eyes which you can now buy.
- Red glace cherries as a nose.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12-hole bun tin with cupcake cases.
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a large bowl and cream until mixed.
- Add the eggs and add the vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt and mix in until thoroughly combined.
- Divide mixture among cases (use an ice cream scoop for accuracy)
- Bake for approx 15 until firm.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack before icing.
- To make the buttercream, put the butter, icing sugar and milk into a large bowl and beat until combined and shiny.
- When the cakes are cold (and they need to be properly cold otherwise Rudolph will look like road kill), spread it generously over the cooled cakes.
- Add the chocolate fingers or broken curly curly as antlers, a red cherry for a nose and the white chocolate buttons as eyes.