It’s true that one of us is addicted to Americana – and all glorious things that come from it. Even Trump hasn’t completely ruined our penchant for USA style family friendly food. These scruffy Sloppy Joes are the easiest, friendliest, most filling family food around. Perfect for Friday nights, family movies and friends with beers. Just perfect.
What You Need
For the Bun
- Brioche Buns (one for each person that you have but for VERY greedy mouths add 2 per person)
For the Filing
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 200g of minced beef (as lean as possible)
- If you have guilt you can add mushrooms or/and chopped peppers but we are purists..
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- Tablespoon of brown sugar (optional)
- 1 big squeeze of tomato ketchup
- 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the minced beef until brown.
- Add the chopped onions until soft.
- Add the ketchup, minced garlic, brown sugar and BBQ sauce.
- Simmer together until the delicious tastes are combined and the meaty sauce has a lovely thick consistency.
- Toast your bun slightly before filling so it retains its shape.
- Add some American cheese, Mozzarella or grated cheddar.
- You can also add bacon slices or other extras if needs be.
- Fall in Love with Sloppy Joe’s….
We’re not sure you need any side dishes with these and their genius is their utter simplicity however if you feel the need then Sweet potato fries are surely the thing to go for.