Simple suppers are the holy grail of family cooking. Sometimes, just thinking about what to cook is harder than the actual cooking. This magical mushroom and balsamic pasta dish ticks all the boxes. It can be made from simple ingredients you should already have in the house, is quick to prepare, can feed all the family (as long as everyone likes Mushrooms) and is incredibly tasty. Avid meat eaters will also no be disappointed as the generosity of the mushrooms will fill even the hungriest stomachs.
This lovely recipe can be whipped up for friends and family too – like all the best lifestyle accessories it can be dressed up or down. Through in a fresh green salad and some crusty bread and it can easily be used for simple entertaining too.
What You Need
- 100g of dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of boiling water
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 250g of unsalted butter
- A small handful of chopped sage leaves
- 200g of Chestnut Mushrooms
- 2 Portobello mushrooms thickly sliced
- 200g mini button mushrooms
- Fettucine or Spaghetti (approx 100g per person is usual)
- Grated Parmesan
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Fresh Green Salad and Crusty Bread
You can soak the mushrooms a couple of hours in advance.
What To Do
- Place the porcini mushrooms, water, and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to soften.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and cook until foamy and turning a light brown. Add the chopped sage leaves and cook for 30 seconds or until crisp. Remove the leaves and set aside for later.
- Throw in all the other mushrooms into the butter and cook until softened.
- Add the porcini and balsamic water and cook for a few minutes until slightly reduced.
- Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Whilst the mushroom mixture is cooking, cook your chosen pasta in large saucepan of salted water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta leaving a bit of the pasta water in the bottom of the pan (this helps the sauce stick to the pasta) and pour in the mushroom mixture.
- Toss the pasta and sauce until combined.
- Top with the chopped sage, toasted pine nuts and parmesan before serving.