If you love smoked salmon and avocado then this layered stack is perfect for al fresco summer dining or a dinner party starter. This has been a firm favourite recipe of ours for years and has been pulled out for countless family dinners and parties. It does require a bit of prep but we promise it’s worth it. This recipe serves 4.
What you need
- 4 slices of wholemeal brown bread
- 200g smoked salmon
- stacking rings (see below)
For the avocado mix
- 2 very ripe large avocados
- Good squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- large handful of wild rocket finely chopped
For the salsa
- 3-4 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- Small handful of wild rocket – finely chopped
Tip: You can prep the components the day before and then arrange and serve in minutes
You will need a set of food rings to cut your bread to shape but also to arrange the stack. We use these 8cm diameter rings which can also be used for sweet deserts such as cheesecakes. They are a really good investment and if you love this recipe as much as we do you will get great value out of them.
- Toast the bread slices and then, using the food ring, cut out 4 x bread discs. Set aside.
- To make the avocado layer, mash the avocado (leave it a little chunky) and add the lemon juice, sour cream, rocket and seasoning. Leave in the fridge to chill.
- For the salsa, dice the tomatoes and red onion and mix with the rocket. Season to taste.
- To assemble place the food ring on the plate. Push a disc of bread into the ring and then layer with some ripped smoked salmon.
- Drain the excess juice from the salsa and then spoon a thick layer on top of the smoked salmon.
- Top off with a layer of avocado mix and then gently lift the food ring off.
- Serve with a couple of sprigs of rocket on top of the stack.