If you like chicken and you like Tex Mex, then you’ll love this Tex Mex chicken bake! We’re always looking for ways to spice up a boring old chicken breast and this recipe certainly ticked the box for us. We could send you down the route of making your own spice rub for the chicken but we do love our shortcuts so we have used a fajita spice mix from the cupboard instead. But of course you can make this as spicy or as mild as you like, depending on your taste.
Serve with some Mexican tomato rice, refried beans or just plain rice. With a dollop of sour cream of course.
What you need
- 2 chicken breasts
- A third of a red, green & yellow pepper
- 1/1.5 tomatoes finely chopped
- A generous sprinkle of your chosen Mexican spice
- Grated cheese (we used a mozzarella & cheddar mix)
- Small handful of coriander
- Juice of half a lime
- Pre-heat oven to 190 C
- To make the salsa: finely chop the peppers, tomato & coriander together (drain off any juice from the tomatoes). Squeeze in half a lime and mix.
- Place the chicken breasts in an ovenproof dish (you can cut these into halves if you want smaller portions) and sprinkle a generous amount of your spice mix over them. Add a little seasoning.
- Spoon the pepper & tomato mix over the chicken and top with grated cheese.
- Place in oven (uncovered) for approx 35 mins or until cooked through. The cheese shouldn’t brown too quickly but if it does towards the end of the cooking period then just cover loosely with tinfoil. (you don’t want it to sweat).