Chicken Enchiladas are an all-time favourite when we go Mexican and so with our Laterra Artisan Sauces at hand (a big fat cheat but Morello Life love a sneaky shortcut), we thought it would be a great idea to recreate a slightly milder version suitable for the whole family. With only 7 essential ingredients and few optional extras this is a fast and furious supper. It will be ready before you can say ‘delicioso’
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of chicken stock
- 4 chicken breasts or left over chicken
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bottle of Laterra Sinaloa Red Sauce (or homemade sauce )
- 8 flour (or corn) tortillas
- 3 large handfuls of grated cheese
- Seasoning (sea salt and ground black pepper)
- Optional green chillies
- Avocado slices
INSTRUCTIONS FOR EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large oven tray and season. Cover the chicken with water 200ml of water. If you want to you can throw in some chicken stock to enhance the flavour but it is not necessary.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Once chicken is cooked through (about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts) remove from liquid and cut into diagonal chucks.
- Saute an onion with a splash of olive oil (and if you want more heat throw in a couple of green chillies) for 5 minutes. If you are using left over chicken add this to the onion until cooked through.
- I like too throw in a spoonful of the cooking stock from the chicken to keep the chicken mixture moist and juicy. No one likes a dry enchilada.
- Organise your bowls of ingredients ready for assembling. You need the chicken mixture, tortillas, Artisan Latera Sauce, Black beans or Kidnesy beans if using, grated cheddar
- Lay out a tortilla, and spread a tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add chicken mixture, beans and then a good sprinkle of cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in a greased oven dish.
- Repeat. Consider it therapy.
- Finally spread the rest of the bottle of the enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, and sprinkle on the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately, garnished with chopped fresh coriander. Coriander is the marmite of herbs but we love it – it really makes the ingredients sing.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.