This is our death row pudding. You know when you’re about to get the chop and you can choose one last meal. Nothing beats a crunchy merangue with a gooey pillow like centre, piled high with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
What You Need
- 6 egg whites (feel free to completely cheat and use Two Chicks Liquid egg whites)
- Dash of vanilla essence
- Dash of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Heat oven to 180˚
- Put your egg whites in a grease-free bowl and whisk until they are stiff (try the hold bowl over head method if you’re sure – if you get egg whites in your face they are not ready).
- Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and whisk well after each spoonful.
- Continue whisking until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Pile the mixture onto a lined baking sheet in a big circle.
- Pop in the oven and IMMEDIATELY turn the oven down to 160˚.
- Bake for approx 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and LEAVE the Pavlova in the oven un oil completely cool. This prevents unnecessary cracking.
- Whip double cream until thick and glossy.
- Pile with fresh fruit, chocolate or spun sugar – whatever you fancy. See serving suggestions below.
TOP TIPS TO AVOID CULINARY CATASTROPHE
- Your bowl for whipping the egg whites MUST be completely grease-free.
- Make sure the egg whites are whipped Stiff peaks and then whipped again with the sugar until glossy.
- Add you sugar gradually so not to collapse the egg whites.
- Make sure you oven is NOT too hot.
- When your Pavlova is judged to be ready then turn the oven off and LEAVE IT until the oven and the Pavlova is cold.
- Summer Berries and Mint Leaves
- Passionfruit (with or without Mango)
- Banana and Salted Caramel Sauce
- Raspberries and Pistachio
- Lemon Curd and Raspberries
- Strawberries, Blueberries and Kiwis
- Chocolate Cream, Crushed Maltesers, and Chopped up Mars Bars
- Pomegranate seeds, Pistachios and Honey
- Chopped Figs and Honey
Different Base Flavours
Chocolate – Fold 4 tablespoons of sifted cocoa powder into the mixture along side the cornflour.
Pistachio – Chop pistachio nuts and fold into the meringue mixture with the cornflour.
Hazelnuts – Fold Chopped hazelnuts into the meringue mixture as above.
Cinnamon – Add 11/2 Teaspoon of Cinnamon into the mix