How many scone recipes have you tried over the years? Ever make a batch that are too hard, too crumbly or just didn’t pass the muster? Well here is the best recipe for scones that you should bookmark or print as we guarantee you won’t be disappointed. Perfectly crumbly to go with some delicious homemade jam and clotted cream.
What you need
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 90g soft butter
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 175ml milk (we used semi skimmed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- egg wash to glaze
- 100g sultanas / raisins
- Heat the oven to 220C (200c fan)
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder and then add the butter (cubed) and mix with your hands until it is a fine breadcrumb consistenc
- Now add the sugar & dried fruit to the breadcrumb mix.
- In a jug mix the milk, vanilla essence and add in the middle of the dry mix.
- Bring the whole mixture together using a fork or your hands. It will eventually come together.
- Tip onto a floured surface and fold the dough mixture into a circle a few times.
- Roll it out to a thickness of about 4cm and cut with use a cutter to get your desired shape
- Brush the top of the scones with some egg wash and pop in the oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
If you liked this recipe, you might like our Blackberry Jam recipe