Now you might think that we are going to give you a recipe for any old cup cake and you are right but we think that everyone needs a classic cupcake recipe especially around Valentine’s Day!
We loved making these with the kids and these yummy little moreish morsels can be used to show your appreciation for pretty much anyone in your life. Give them to your neighbours, your husband or your friends or the children can give them to their friends and teachers.
Share the love.
What You Need
For the Chocolate Cupcakes/Love Buns
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150 caster sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 self-raising flour
- 25 cocoa powder
- Spoonful of Love
Butter Cream Recipe
- 150g unsalted butter softened
- 300 icing sugar, sifted
- Dash of Milk (use sparingly after mixing the butter and sugar to create correct consistency)
- Buttercream Icing – made or bought (no fussiness here)
- Fondant Icing (we used white and red)
- Heart Marshmallows
- Sprinkles and sparkles
- Whatever you want
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a bun tin with cupcake cases (Ideally pretty Valentine’s Day inspired ones. No Darth Vader today).
- Place the softened butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and cream together until blended and light.
- Crack in the eggs and the vanilla extract. Mix well in between each addition of an egg.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt together and then mix together (by hand or electric mixer) for a few minutes until thoroughly mixed together.
- Divide the mixture amongst the cupcake cases (We like to use an ice cream scoop to ensure they are evenly distributed).
- Bake for approx 15-17 mins until the tops are slightly firm.
- When suitably cooked leave them to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pan onto a wire rack.
- Wait to cool and then decorate as desired – anything goes x